BLOG 2: The U.S. Supreme Court

 Blog Post #2: The U.S. Supreme Court

Story pin image

    After watching the videos about the history and workings of the U.S. Supreme Court, I learned several things that I did not previously know. One of the most interesting facts was how much influence the Court has despite not having the power to create laws or enforce them. Instead, its authority comes from its ability to interpret the Constitution and determine whether laws or government actions are constitutional. I also learned more about the process by which cases reach the Supreme Court and how only a very small percentage of petitions are actually heard each year.

    The most important takeaway from the videos is that the Supreme Court plays a critical role in maintaining the balance of power within the federal government. Through judicial review, the Court can limit the actions of both Congress and the President when it determines that they conflict with the Constitution. This responsibility makes the Court one of the most influential institutions in American government, even though it is often less visible than the legislative or executive branches.

    The most surprising thing I learned was how much discretion the justices have in choosing which cases they hear. I had assumed that the Court was required to hear many more appeals than it actually does. Learning that the justices can select cases that they believe address important constitutional questions helped me understand why Supreme Court decisions can have such far-reaching consequences.

    The videos changed the way I think about the Supreme Court because I previously viewed it mainly as a group of judges deciding legal disputes. Now I see it as an institution that helps shape the interpretation of the Constitution and influences major political and social issues in the United States. While the Court is designed to be independent from politics, its decisions can have lasting effects on public policy and American society. Overall, the videos gave me a greater appreciation for the Court's role in protecting constitutional principles and resolving some of the nation's most significant legal questions.

Comments

Popular Posts